By Florian Cajori
The slide rule, with its many adaptations, has been important to arithmetic and engineering on account that its invention within the seventeenth century. curiosity during this box has grown dramatically and creditors can nonetheless locate a lot fabric at cheap costs. regrettably there was little info to be had apart from brands manuals and catalogs, making this reprint of Cajori's vintage relatively necessary. additionally integrated with this reprint of the 1910 variation is Cajori's broad article at the historical past of Gunter's Scale and the Slide Rule throughout the seventeenth Century, released by way of the college of California in 1920, which units forth his next findings. there's additionally a worthwhile explanatory creation by way of Dr. Robert okay. Otnes, editor of the magazine of the Oughtred Society. 178 pages. Illustrated. 61/8" x 91/4". difficult disguise.
Read or Download A History of the Logarithmic Slide Rule PDF
Similar americas books
Within the American South, Cooper and Terrill exhibit their trust that it truly is very unlikely to divorce the background of the South from the background of the USA. each one quantity features a colossal biographical essay_completely up to date for this edition_which offers the reader with a advisor to literature at the historical past of the South.
Good illustrated Afro-Grenadian historical past.
With excessive hopes that the worst of the monetary situation is now in the back of us, our efforts taking a look ahead needs to be extra vigilant. switch is continuing within the digital enterprise administration panorama and we needs to proceed to appear for organizational efficiencies, aggressive power, strategic differentiation and price construction in either int- organizational and collaborative settings.
A columnist for the Scripps-Howard information provider has compiled numerous of his brief essays written for the typical reader right into a assortment, protecting such themes as affirmative motion, media hype, and gay politics.
- Budget Reform Politics: The Design of the Appropriations Process in the House of Representatives, 1865-1921 (Political Economy of Institutions and Decisions)
- Fast Track to A 5 Preparing for the AP United States History Examination
- This Country of Ours
- The Fisherman's Cause: Atlantic Commerce and Maritime Dimensions of the American Revolution
- Bell Aircraft Since 1935
- Prehistoric Settlement of the Pacific (Transactions of the American Philosophical Society)
Additional info for A History of the Logarithmic Slide Rule
96. Pouch, Echelles Enroulées en Spirales pour les Racines Carrées et Cubiques. [M. , Paris, 1905, p. 121. ] 97. Beyerlen’s Rechenrad. [Zeitschr. f. Vermess. , Vol. 15, 1886, p. 382; Gewerbe-blatt aus Würtemberg, 1886, pp. 201—206. Designed by A. ] 98. Paulin, Règle pour les Calculs Terrassements. [Portefeuille des Conducteurs des Ponts et Chaussées, T. XXI, 1889, p. , Paris, 1905, p. ] 99. Regolo di F. , Torino, 1886, pp. 163, 164. ] 100. Sanguet, Règle pour les Levers Tachéométriques. , Paris, 1905, p.
Hammer, Der logarithmische Rechenschieber, 4te Auflage, Stuttgart, 1908, p. 10. ] 30. Bradford’s Sliding Rule. , p. ] 31. Porro’s Scale Logaritmiche Centesimali. [Cited by Favaro, op. , p. , par J. Porra, Turin, 1850, p. ] 32. Regolo Calcolatorio di Oesterle. [Cited by Favaro, op. , p. 508, from Ernest Sedlaczek, Neber Visir- und Recheninstrumente, Wien, 1856, pp. 3, 4, and from Ernest Sedlaczek, Anleitung z. Gebrauche einiger logarith. ] 33. Altmütter’s Rechenschieber. [Zeitschr. f. Mathematik und Physik, Vol.
Studies along this line have been carried on by Ch. A. 3 With the aid of the ordinary Mannheim and similar slide rules it is possible to solve quadratic and cubic equations. This has been pointed out by E. Bour,4 Paolo de Saint-Robert,5 A. Genocchi,6 Quintino Sella,7 Favaro and Terrier,8 W. Engler,9 H. Zimmermann,10 H. C. Dunlop and C. S. Jackson,11 and A. 12 The computation of √(a2 ± b2), √a ± √b, (√a ± √b)2 and similar expressions with a single setting of the rule was shown by W. 13 Fürle’s general slide rule gives √(x2 ± y2 ± z2).